On Monday, September 20th I had the opportunity to attend the WIN Cleveland meeting and hear Regina Olbinsky of The Career Group speak on the topic of networking. She named her presentation ‘A New Take On Networking’ which is right on, yet sad. The things she had to say were fantastic. I find it sad that it is a ‘new take’ on the subject! Sort of a sad but true kind of thing.
Here are some of the highlights from her talk. See if you can relate to any (or all) of them.
1. Articulate a memorable message – know yourself and be able to convey how you bring value to others
2. Regina’s definition of networking is this – building relationships and building knowledge. When you only network when you need something you are only in it for yourself – people don’t like this.
3. Know what your brand is
4. Understand the ‘pay it forward’ concept
5. It takes time to build relationships
6. Ask memorable questions that go to the heart
7. BE GENUINE
8. Stay in touch
9. Remember details about the person. This is a place where Facebook can help. People are always posting information about their lives. Pay attention.
These are such great guidelines for networking! Know who you are and what you bring to the table. Then be quiet! Stop trying to tell everyone everything about you. Instead be interested in them. Allow them the time and opportunity to get to know you. Sales aren’t made at the events. They happen after time and when there is a need.
It is the relationships you build during networking that will help you grow your business over time. As the relationships grow the ways in which you can help each other will grow. And there is nothing better!