With a new year upon us, many people make resolutions – otherwise known as goals. They plan to achieve something in the coming months that they’ve neglected in the past.
Goal setting is important in business as well. As business people we set goals throughout the year – where we want to go, what we want to accomplish, growth we want to experience. In other words, to attain success as we define it.
The key to reaching those goals is planning. If you want to reach your goals, you have to plan the steps you need to take to get there. Sounds simple, right? And it should be. However, this is the area most people ignore. They set their goals, and then get to the business of each day, never planning the process for reaching those goals. In the end, they may or may not reach their destination. They’ve left it to chance.
If you are going to take the time and energy to set goals, give them the attention they deserve. Set yourself up for success; for reaching your goals.
Steps to follow to reach your goals:
1. Once you have the goal, work backwards establishing the steps necessary to achieve the goal
2. Be specific regarding the steps you’ll take to reach your goal
3. Follow those steps exactly
4. Be prepared to make adjustments to your planning where necessary
5. Visit your goals and your plan on a daily basis
6. Monitor your progress on a weekly and quarterly basis
7. Enlist the help and encouragement of others where appropriate
These steps seem basic. As Jim Rohn says, ‘Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals.’
The basic fundamentals. The KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid). Don’t make it more complicated than it is. Set your plan, monitor your plan and be prepared to make changes to your plan, if need be.
As this new year begins, make a resolution to create a plan for achieving your goals. When the year comes to a close, you’ll look back on great growth, both personal and professional.